History of First United Methodist Church

1852 EM Methodist Church

This Article was printed in the Evansville Journal in December, 1855.
This ws the longest standing Methodist Church building in Mt. Vernon.
It stood for more than 60 years until 1916.



*******************************************************

New Church Building at Mount Vernon

The members of the M.E. Church at Mt. Vernon, have just completed a
large and sub-stantial house of worship.  It was dedicated last Sunday
morning, the Rev. Mr. Sabin, of Locust Street Church, Evansville,
officiating by invitation.  This edifice is a two story brick, with a large
lecture room in the basement story.  It cost $5,500.  The congregation
was $600 in debt, but money enough was raised at the dedication to
pay off this.  The M.E. Church at Mt. Vernon appears to be in a
flourishing condition.  The congregation have now a large, substantial
and roomy edifice, such as they have long needed.

There has been a revival in the M.E. Church of this city.  About twenty
persons have within the last two or three weeks united themselves to
the church, and twenty-five have made profession of religion.  The
meetings will be ressumed this evening at the Locust Street Church,
they having been interrupted by the absence of Mr. Sabin.