June 2018  
SMTWTFS
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
     
This Week's Events
JUN

19

TUE
MTV - MISSION WEEK
Bus & Van out all week for MTV Mission Team
WH / Kitchen / Youth Zone / Wesley Hall Parking lot area
Wesley Walkers (WH)
6:00 AM to 7:45 AM
STAFF MEETING
9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
Meeting in the Gathering Room
Bible Study w/ Pastor Christopher
10:00 AM
Meet in Foundations SS Classroom WH
JUN

20

WED
MTV - MISSION WEEK
Bus & Van out all week for MTV Mission Team
WH / Kitchen / Youth Zone / Wesley Hall Parking lot area
Wesley Walkers (WH)
6:00 AM to 7:45 AM
Wonderful Wednesday Dinner - HOST: Men's Group
5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
Beef Brisket Dinner in Wesley Hall
Church Council Meeting
6:30 PM
Council Meeting will meet following the WW Brisket Dinner in CR-WH
Bible Study w/ Dr. Mike Rynkiewich
7:00 PM
Group meets in Bible 101 SS Classroom WH
JUN

21

THU
MTV - MISSION WEEK
Bus & Van out all week for MTV Mission Team
WH / Kitchen / Youth Zone / Wesley Hall Parking lot area
Wesley Walkers (WH)
6:00 AM to 7:45 AM
CEAB - Appointments
9:00 AM to 10:45 AM
Gathering Room
Bridges of Hope Store - Open
5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
JUN

22

FRI
MTV - MISSION WEEK
Bus & Van out all week for MTV Mission Team
WH / Kitchen / Youth Zone / Wesley Hall Parking lot area
Wesley Walkers (WH)
6:00 AM to 7:45 AM
JUN

23

SAT
Scout Cook Out - Recognition of First Responders
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Parking Lot and Grassy areas by Wesley Hall. A. White
Bible Search
M.E. Cemetery History - Bellefontaine

Bellefontaine Cemetery

Built By German M. E. Church

 

 

Bellefontaine Cemetery History

Bellefontaine Cemetery was founded by the German M. E. Church in 1860. The German church members wanted a dependable place to bury their dead; they concluded their own graveyard was necessary.

Discrimination was a factor that German speaking citizens had to confront.

Most German refugees realized that hard work, speaking English and business ownership created some equality with English speaking citizens. This was also true for Jewish residents. The Mount Vernon Jewish population created Oak Hill Cemetery in 1882 which merged into Bellefontaine Cemetery in 1920.

Several German Methodists met in their church on Jan. 26, 1860 to organize a committee and find cemetery land. A week later the German Methodists were offered two acres of land for $100 per acre by V. J. Shryock; this is the southwest corner of the present cemetery.

A board of trustees was elected in February, 1860; the board was named “Allgemeine Beeroigun Platz,” 
(General Burial Place Society). 45 Members subscribed $5 each for $225 to cover the $200 land purchase cost. The grave sites were assigned by drawing lots.

In March, 1887, the name German Graveyard was changed to Black Township Cemetery; the business was thereafter conducted in English language. In December, 1890 the cemetery name of “Bellefontaine Cemetery

Society” was adopted. Reports tell that Bellefontaine was named for Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis.

The St Louis cemetery was named after Fort Belle Fontaine that was built in 1805 at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.